UK TV show featuring asexuality requests callers...

TheSMMG

The show is called "Doctor Doctor", and is on Channel 5, weekdays at 9:30am.

The show introduces a medical issue, discusses it then the doctor and psychologist presenters field questions from people 'phoning into the show seeking advice.

They are planning to cover asexuality on the show one day next week and I've volunteered to be interviewed live on it (ulp!).

Ideally, this will reach asexuals that are currently unaware that others exist and are, perhaps, confused and/or think something is "wrong" with them etc.

It could fall a little flat if no one plucks up the courage to 'phone in, however...

Hence, the potential need for callers.

This should be a good opportunity for education and myth-busting eg. the confusion of asexuality with things like celibacy, impotence, asexual reproduction etc.

I am on holiday allnext week, so i could tune in depending on when it is on. I would be happy to ring in with a question. Let me know what you need and when.

All my love,

Kate

They also want audience members, if anyone wants free food. PM me to get the contact info to be in the audience..

To whom it may concern,

We are running a new live daily show over the next four weeks for

Channel 5 called 'Doctor Doctor'. It aims to tackle a series of topical

medical issues in front of a studio audience. It is a one hour show,

with medical experts in different fields answering viewers' questions

about their physical and mental well being.

On Friday 25th August we will be discussing asexuality and are looking

for people to be part of our live studio audience which is free of

charge. Our studios are located in the Whiteleys Centre, Bayswater,

situated in Central London. All audience members need to meet at 8:30am

in Starbucks on the 2nd floor of the centre.

On arrival they will receive a complimentary breakfast while we discuss

the topics of the show. The audience will then be taken up to the

studio for the start of the show at 9.30am. It is an hour long and so

will be finished by 10.30am.

I don't know if I'll have the day even if I do the parents are in....

I do wish the best of luck SMMG.

*plots to be able to get to a phone*

I should be able to watch it, but I am on holiday so I'm not so sure. Why is asexuality on a medical show? Wish you all the luck SMMG!! :D

Yolly :D

Ohh that sounds exciting. Good luck! :D

If there wasn't an ocean between us and I wouldn't have to get up at 4:30 in the morning, I'd totally call...

And Yolly, I'm not sure whether it still is or not, but homosexuality used to be on the "official list of psychological disorders." And several people have already noted that asexuality is taking a similar route as homosexuality did at first...*shrug* Must look into that...

!"£$%^&* :evil:

I'd really love to be able to provide some moral support to TheSMMG by being part of the audience, but circumstances are such that I'm already committed to another appointment that morning. It also means that I won't be able to watch it 'live' either...gggrrrr.... Thank goodness for the VCR...

I hope all goes well.

Don't think anyone would appreciate me towing Rhiannon along...curse the long summer holidays!

(and the fact that her mum wont have her for a couple of weeks because she can't cope with Rhi... :x :x :x )

Thanks, people!

Thanks for posting the info about being in the audience, AVENguy - and the date of the programme to feature asexuality - I only found that out yesterday.

I hope someone uploads/downloads it so everyone can watch it ^__^

I used to have a BBC channel, I think... :?

Hi Rosegirl:

That would be vey helpful, and much appreciated, in case no one else rings in...

The sort of things you might ask (and laugh as I get it wrong...) the difference between celibacy and asexuality; I'm confused as my dictionary rambles on about "reproduction without exchange of gametes"; how can I contact others; where can I get information and advice; I think a friend of mine might be asexual - stuff like that.

It also appears that you can e-mail the programme, too - somewhat less scary than 'phoning!

Hi Yolly:

The programme seems to cover a broad range of medical-related issues. The one I watched last Friday featured a gay "agony uncle" offering advice, for instance.

The feature on asexuality has now been broadened to include people who have lost interest in sex as well as those who think they might be asexual.

Jenna Robinson - one of the programme's researchers - would also like the opportunity to talk to anyone thinking of calling prior to the show.

Her number is: 0207 985 1826.

I couldn't watch the show but how did it go? Can anyone get it on the net so I can watch it?

Yolly :D

Archived